Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A prayer to the Trinity

Here is a wonderful expression of heartfelt Trinitarian piety,

Three in one, one in three, God of my salvation,
Heavenly Father, blessed Son, eternal Spirit,
I adore three as one Being, one Essence,
one God in three distinct Persons,
for bringing sinners to thy knowledge and to thy kingdom.
O Father, thou hast loved me and sent Jesus to redeem me;
O Jesus, thou hast loved me and assumed my nature,
shed thine own blood to wash away my sins,
wrought righteousness to cover my unworthiness;
O Holy Spirit, thou hast loved me and entered my heart,
implanted there eternal life,
revealed to me the glories of Jesus.
Three Persons and one God, I bless and praise thee,
for love so unmerited, so unspeakable, so wondrous,
so mighty to save the lost and raise them to glory.

From The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions,
edited by Arthur Bennett, Banner of Truth Trust, 2007 reprint, p. 3.

No comments: